Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Abba


We played this song and video at Lincoln's Memorial Service on Monday evening, and I wanted to share it again with all of you ~ David.


The Story:

Abba |ˈäbä; ˈabä|
noun
(in the New Testament) an intimate term for God as father.• (in the Syrian Orthodox and Coptic churches) a title given to bishops and patriarchs.ORIGIN via Greek from Aramaic ‛abbā ‘daddy.’
"I wrote this song from a prayer of Brennan Manning in his book "The Furious Longing of God." The prayer is just five simple words: Abba, I belong to you. He tells you to take this prayer into a quiet place and with the rhythm of the your breathing inhale Abba and exhale I belong to you. As I began to pray this prayer the love of God began to wreck my heart. I realized that Jesus began a revolution with one word. When he said the word Father he changed everything. Now he has invited us into this reality, into this place of belonging. To call God our Daddy, our Papa, our Abba."


The Lyrics:
Abba
by Jonathan David Helser
You’re more real than the wind in my lungs
You’re more real than the ground I’m standing on
You’re thoughts define me, you’re inside me
You’re my reality
Abba, I belong to you
You’re closer than the skin on my bones
You’re closer than the song on my tongue






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing David. I wish so much I could have been there to celebrate the life of your precious baby boy.

    ReplyDelete